11.22.2011

GUEST POST BY MY FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGER




I am so happy to have my very good friend Carrie of plums in the icebox share with you all one of her amazing recipes! Make sure to check out her blog and follow her on Twitter here for all of her latest happenings. Read her post below to find out how to make these apple-oat muffins! I will be getting a glimpse into her life tomorrow when my mom and I bake lots of pies for Thanksgiving. I have a feeling my blog may turn into a food blog over this Thanksgiving holiday. Don't worry, Carrie. I won't be able to make anything as good as you can! 

<33

I'm not usually the best baker, but this fall the weather (rainy and cold and blah) has made me want to stay inside and use my oven. These apple-oat muffins are easy to make and completely delicious. I added applesauce and yogurt so they would be extra moist, and wow, they were! The oats and the apples make these healthier than your average muffin, perfect for a Thanksgiving day breakfast (I even froze a few of these and plan to eat them for breakfast throughout the winter). Use whole-wheat flour to make these even better for you! If you're gluten-free, these are easily customizable; I made the muffins with 1 cup of Arrowhead Mills baking mix and 1/2 cup of rice flour. 

Apple-Oat Muffins
makes 12 muffins
total time: 30ish minutes
total hands-on time: 10-15 minutes

1 1/2 cups of flour 
1 cup oats
1/2 cup of brown sugar
dash of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 a cup of applesauce
1/2 a cup of greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
1/2 cup of sliced almonds or other nuts (optional)
2 small apples, diced extremely small

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
3. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl and mix..
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well.
5. Core and seed your two apples, then slice them into extremely small pieces. I left the skin on for more fiber, but you can peel them if you want.
6. Add the apple mixture and the nuts (if you're using them) to the batter and stir well again.
7. Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment